Nintendo recently announced a new product/game releasing April 20th. Nintendo Labo is offers a new way to play and interact with your Nintendo Switch while creating items in the physical world. Each of the two kits announce comes with software specially designed to interact with the creations your making. In one kit you can make a piano, fishing pole, a home and more while the other allows you to transform into a robot. Slowly leading up to the launch date Nintendo is releasing more info about its latest innovation in “Play.”
The software itself includes a mode called Toy Con Garage a fun simplified way to introduce basic coding concepts to invent new ways to interact with the Labo creations. I was sold on the Labo the minute I saw it and absolutely applaud Nintendo to continue to find new ways to engage gamers of all ages in new ways to play. I can’t wait to see what else Nintendo has up its sleeve for this exciting new product. For more info on the Labo head over to the official Nintendo Labo site and check out the reveal announcement below.
The official Nintendo press release about the Labo kits;
- Build your own wearable Toy-Con Robot suit and assume control of a giant in-game robot, completing challenges and destroying in-game objects to unlock powerful new abilities.
- If you’re feeling competitive, you can even challenge a friend in two-player local battles or compare your high scores/rankings with other players! (An additional Robot Kit and Joy-Con controllers are required for two-player mode; sold separately.)
- Nintendo Labo encourages you to use your imagination and creativity to customize your cardboard Toy-Con creations in a variety of ways. The Robot Kit even allows you to customize and level-up your in-game robot
- Toy-Con Piano: After assembling your 13-key Piano, you can host an impromptu recital or record your songs and play them back for your biggest fans-in-the-making. Experiment with different sounds and pitches to create something truly unique – even a song composed entirely of cat noises!
- Toy-Con Motorbike: Grab ahold of your newly constructed handlebars and race through different tracks, challenging CPU opponents or collecting targets across mountainous terrain. You can even create your own custom tracks, so start planning your designs now!
- Toy-Con Fishing Rod: There are many exotic fish to discover, and some of the deep-ocean fish are particularly tricky to catch. Show off your collection in Aquarium mode and have fun creating your own fish with different shapes and colors – simply insert and scan different cards in the Toy-Con Piano to get started. (Assembled Toy-Con Piano is required to access Aquarium mode.)
- Toy-Con House: Befriend the cute creature living in your Toy-Con House (shown on the Nintendo Switch screen) and discover different ways to interact and play with it. There are a variety of experiences to discover, including mine cart races, bowling and jump rope.
- Toy-Con RC Car: The RC Car is full of unique and surprising features. Since the Variety Kit includes materials to build two Toy-Con RC Cars, you can race against a friend, set up obstacle courses or even compete in a sumo-inspired challenge to try to knock your opponent’s RC Car over (additional Joy-Con controllers are required; sold separately). Create a path using the reflective stickers included in the kit, and set the car to auto-drive along a specific route using the IR Motion Camera on the Right Joy-Con controller.